Exhibition within the framework of the conference
Feminist Pedagogy: Museums, Memorials and Practices of Remembrance
I. Asian and European conference of women’s museums
18 – 20 October 2018, Istanbul
During the conference an exhibition will be organised curated by Women’s Museum Istanbul in cooperation with Sabanci University.
The connection between the conference and the exhibition:
The exhibition will
- be displayed in the conference venue;
- make the topics of the discussions expected at the conference visible;
- give concrete examples of practices of remembrance and exemplify feminist museum education.
(Working) title of the exhibition
“Remembering violent history without showing violence”
The exhibition seeks answers to the following questions:
- Is it possible to recount violent history without using imagery of the violence perpetrated?
- Displaying imagery of violence tends to reproduce acts of violence which may have negative effects. Are there other forms of narration possible?
- Women and gender-oriented museums worldwide are invited to send photos and stories (no objects!) from their past exhibitions to illustrate answers to the questions above.
- The museums are asked to tell their story with only one photo and two texts (in English) with the following content:
First Text (600 – 800 characters, including spaces)
– What was the (social or political) problem the original exhibition (which the picture comes from) wanted to address?
– What was the answer the original exhibition tried to give to the problem?
– What role did the picture sent to Istanbul (or its content, object depicted etc.) play in this context?
Second Text (600 – 800 characters, including spaces)
Personal reflections about the visitors’ social learning in the original exhibition:
– Which individual or collective experiences and knowledge could be registered?
– How did visitors actively participate?
- High resolution images are required.
- The exhibition will be in Turkish/English. Translation into Turkish will be made in Istanbul.
- Sending multiple stories is possible.
- Among all the stories sent a selection will be made in Istanbul.
- The exhibition posters will be produced in Istanbul with the chosen stories in Turkish and in English.
- The material of the exhibition will be published in 2019 in the reader of the conference “Feminist Pedagogy: Museums, Memorials and Practices of Remembrance”.
Deadline of sending the contributions 31 July 2018
Further information email@example.com