What We Do
IAWM has six goals to guide our mission.
- To promote culture, arts, education and training from a gender perspective;
- To foster exchange, networking, mutual support and global cooperation among Women’s Museums;
- To conduct research and the development of projects, exhibitions, new initiatives, community activities, seminars and conferences;
- To promote and strengthen the acceptance of Women’s and Gender Museums worldwide;
- To achieve international recognition in the world of museums; and
- To advocate for women’s rights and a gender democratic society.
To achieve these goals, we provide three services to member museums.
Monitoring – we maintain a database of women’s museums worldwide and promote and disseminate their activities and exhibitions through our social media channels.
Networking – we regularly co-organize international congresses with host museums for meetings, discussions, and exchanges between our members. We also work with other networks to foster collaborations between women’s museums and other museums or organizations.
Cooperating – We bring museums together to create collaborative projects, like the EU-project She Culture, and promote exchange and cooperation between our members.